Saturday, August 1, 2015


Slow Sunday Stitching


I am making my weekend a slow weekend.  Although I won't be joining Kathy's Quilts today, I did a lot of handwork yesterday while demonstrating at the local Palantine House Museum.  I am a bit wiped out (don't do heat well), so today I need to empty the car - yeah, I just came home and crashed.  I need to do a little house work and then gather my notes and calendars to be sure I am on track with a number of events coming up.

Some photos of my Saturday (most before the crowd came) - attandance was small (but comfortable), but that was probably due to it also being the first day of the local county fair.


period children's games


some period music


spinning yarn


things set up for for tea time - yes, they had tea and some things they baked in the outside oven


one of the small beds - loved this quilt



there were 3 different looms demonstrated


making rose petal jelly and honey lotion


my spot - hand quilting on the star quilt and had sample melon blocks for people to try some needle turning


 and basket weaving - and these two little girls kept us all amused as they knew every little silly song and tongue twister

Enjoy your slow Sunday,
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

22 comments:

Lesley said...

Wonderful pics. I feel like I was there! Hope you get everything done that is on your list for today.

Julie Fukuda said...

Your photos show a wonderful bunch of vintage activities. What a great inspiration your contribution must have been.

Quilting Babcia said...

Looks like my kind of festival. A fun day for sure. Today is a great day to rest up and regroup. I hope it's cooler there; this a.m. I awoke to 51 degrees - and all the windows and doors wide open. A relief from the heat and humidity we've had over the last week!

Lady Jane said...

That looks like such fun!!!

Dana Gaffney said...

It's so nice to see children there and experiencing some history, too bad about the timing with the county fair. Did you dress up in costume? I can't imagine how hot it was for the women dressed for the occasion.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful day! I'm sure everyone enjoyed your wonderful display, and I hope you get lots of rest and a chance to recover from the heat.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Your booth looked fun and as a former girl scout leader, the little girls cracked me up. Looks like it was a very fun day....rest with a smile on your face!

Joanna said...

That looks like a pleasant way to spend a few hours, and I would enjoy the tea. The scouts worked to get their badges; good for them. Your booth does look interesting, especially the hands on part.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looks like a fun day yesterday with lots of handiwork!

gayle said...

What a fun way to spend a summer day!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This was a lot of fun to see!! Loved it all, especially your area :)

Susie said...

Lovely pictures, I love these sorts of events where you can get to try old crafts. We need more of these, especially here in the UK instead of fairs that wish to sell you things!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. Hugs, Susie x

sewyouquilt2 said...

nice to unplug and enjoy life as our ancestors did- love your quilt area

Kate said...

Looks like a fun, but busy day.

Julierose said...

Gosh what a wonderful event! Nice that you had some needle turn pieces for people to try out! Love that lozenge quilt hugs, Julierose

tink's mom said...

Looks like a lovely, hands on event. Fun (apparently) for all ages.

Deb A said...

That looks like fun... and having girl scouts and brownies there must have been great!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon what a fun day,love the pics ,love the quilts xx

Teresa in Music City said...

That looks like such a fun day! I can see why you would be tired afterwards though. Love your lozenge quilt in your area - it just pops out and says Wow!!!!

Teresa in Music City said...

That looks like such a fun day! I can see why you would be tired afterwards though. Love your lozenge quilt in your area - it just pops out and says Wow!!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Looks like a fun time. Love the quilts in your booth. Hope it wasn't as hot there as it was here (mid 90's with humidity). Thank goodness it is cooler this week.

Sarah said...

It looks and sounds like a great day. Hope you got to put your feet up sometime during Sunday - you deserved it!