Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Let's Book It - August Link Up

VroomansQuilts

I hope you have been enjoying re-visiting those dusty books, magazines, patterns, and saved on-line projects.  Now I don't have a huge collection, but 'spank me' I have a lot that I have never even looked at!  Some I don't even remember how I got them and I find that sad. 


This was my August selection - Annie's Scrapbag - and I won it 2 years ago in a give away.  It has a lovely note and signed by the author herself, Martha Walker.  And every project in this book just attracts me - why did I let it sit?


And this was the project I selected.  The tiny piecing and hand embroidery just attracted me to this one.


I decided to keep all my little block in the red/brick color range and everything came right out of that scrap basket, a plus.  These worked up really quickly, but I set a schedule of doing middle, sides, top & bottom blocks to stretch thru the month.


The little flower blocks were first embroidered and then the design change of the centers for the needle turned prim circles.


As you can see, I even changed the border.  I made all those little HSTs, but thought they distracted from the center.  So I just went with the blue print for a single small border, simple stitch in the ditch quilting, and bound it with a left over bit of red binding. The batt and backing were from the scrap bins, too - a total scrap project.  It finished 15" x 19". 

August's Barn Pin and Double PinWheel Charm:

QuiltBarnCharmHolder.jpg.jpg
Now it's your turn to link up - linky open until Sept 3rd 10pmEST:

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon


17 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh gosh, that is just so sweet.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Such a sweet little quilt. Wonderful job!

Cheryll said...

Oh that's sooo very nice. Love the borders too!
I'll link up in a few days... :)

Kate said...

Very cute! The changes you made to the pattern worked out really well.

Kat Scribner said...

No way, 15 z 19? Amazing. It is a sweet little piece, way too much work. LOL

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a precious little quilt Sharon, love it!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful finish...adorable!

Paula, the quilter said...

Seriously cute. Button would be darling for the flowers, too.

Sheila said...

I love it , so sweet !

ES said...

Its looks just great, very fresh. I think its a great idea to look into old books for ideas, they were bought for reason after all :)

Rebecca in AK said...

Your little quilt turned out really nice! I like the circle flowers much better than the hearts!

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Your finish is truly fabulous.
I know that it's been a while but I have also linked up this month.

Teresa in Music City said...

Well dang it! This month has been too full of commitments and I never even got to pick out a book from my shelf, much less start anything from it! Hopefully September will be a different story.

Natashahcoy@gmail.com said...

It is so pretty! What a gem to add to the collection

Sheila said...

Such a sweet mini. Love what you did to the border. I've visited this post several times to take a peek.
My memory is not what it once was...

sew.darn.quilt said...

This is so adorable, I love your spin on this quilt idea.

the girlfriend gap said...


Very cute :) Thanks for sharing . Janita