Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Mixed Bag


I am seeing on a number of blogs where people are showing and asking how many projects are in the mix.  I don't count and I'm not about to tell - seriously - you would all think I am crazy.  But I find it inspirational to play with a variety things, variety of colors, variety of fabrics lines, all in a variety of stages.  It's like a mixed bag of candy, you get to enjoy a  variety of goodness.


Since you all saw the wavy quilt in stages of working thru it, I thought you should see the finished quilt.  This was hard to photo as the lite colors in it just kept washing out.  We finally thru it under the apple tree  for some spattered shade.


My aunt came for the Tuesday sewing class and brought the binding fabric (same as final border) and I applied it by machine with a decorative stitch.  She was very happy with it and said she was keeping this one for herself - she's given so many away.  The blocks are a Jelly Roll pattern by The 3 Dudes and you can see the U-Tube HERE.


I am slowly working on my Let's Book It project.  I wasn't happy with the 'heart' shape flowers and then I (shudder) tried yo-yos which looked too heavy.  Eventually I went with Prim circles.  I have all the other units finished, just need to trim those flower blocks down to 3.5" and I am ready to put this together.


I think there is a lot of secret sewing going on too.  My pile of left overs for the upcoming 'See You in September' Hop.  Riley Blake Ginghams and some Shot Cottons - another fabric is missing - because I used it ALL.  My day is the 15th and yes, all three of my projects are done.  I, also, picked up a fun bundle for a give away.

  
And I dumped a bag of black scraps to play with for the 'Black Cat Crossing' Hop in Oct.  I know, plenty of time - but when inspiration hits, you sew.  I'm not showing the other fun bundle of fabric I plan to play with for another project for this hop - you would certainly quess what it is.


This bundle has been cut up into lovely piles to play with a project - well, it is actually half way done.  You won't see this until October.  There's 4 different fabric companies represented in this grouping - who says you can't blend it together. Besides, I am in the 'purge' mode and I wanted to use what is on the shelf.  I think with the approach of Fall - yellows, golds, and hues of brown just sing the season.  Our trees are already starting to show some Fall color.

And I have been adding some new buttons on the side bar.  Many fun projects popping up and with summer vacations over - kids back to school or off to college - I hope there is something in the variety to inspire time to sew. 

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

29 comments:

KatieQ said...

I think the prim circles are a good substitute. The 3 Dudes quilt turned out really cute. I got a chance to visit their quilt shop when we were on vacation in Arizona. I didn't meet any of the dudes, but I enjoyed poking around the shop.

Julie Fukuda said...

With all the stuff you have lined up down the road, it is a good thing you have so much going on!

Barbara said...

I like the prim circles too. Your aunt's quilt turned out great!

Rebecca in AK said...

Your Aunt's quilt turned out so nice! I like the circles better too! I don't know if I could keep up with that many projects! Have fun!

KaHolly said...

I think it would overwhelm me to try to count or list all the projects I have going on at once! But they all get worked on and they all get finished....eventually!! Love your aunt's quilt.

Lyndsey said...

I like the prim circles for the flowers, they look just perfect.

I have no idea how many projects I'm working on but it's lots. I love to 'feel' what mood I'm in and work on a project to suit. Doesn't finish them up quickly and it means I keep starting new ones but it sure is fun and after all it is my hobby.

I like the fabrics for your up coming projects. Can't wait to see them.

Jeanie said...


I'm with you.... I have no idea how many UFO's are lingering in my house.... tucked away in boxes. I enjoy designing and starting a new project and I don't feel like I have to complete my last project before starting the next. A mixed bag keeps me interested and enthusiastic about my sewing!

Dana Gaffney said...

How wonderful that she's keeping the quilt for herself! I like the circles they add a lot to those blocks.

sunny said...

I would never tell how many projects I have in progress, because I don't even know. Like you, I like to keep them in various stages, so there's always something to fit my mood/time slot/hand vs. machine/etc. It looks like your have great things coming along.

charlotte said...

I love having lots of different things to work on. That way, if I need hand work, I have it, or machine work. Piecing, quilting, something for every mood.

Debbie said...

Your Aunt's quilt look great....glad she will get to enjoy it.
I get lost keeping track of all your projects, so everytime you show them they seem new to me.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

You really have some fun projects going on and I like those prim circles too! I always seems to have more than one.....or four projects going on like you Sharon!

Needled Mom said...

Your wavy quilt looks great now. I am so glad she was pleased with it.

Lots of excitement going on there with the peeks.

Calicojoan said...

I gave up counting. The number never seemed to get smaller! LOL!
Love your projects. Especially the Let's book it project! And all that gingham...you know Madame Samm is drooling! ;-)

Calicojoan said...

I gave up counting. The number never seemed to get smaller! LOL!
Love your projects. Especially the Let's book it project! And all that gingham...you know Madame Samm is drooling! ;-)

Joanna said...

My head's spinning after reading this post. Your aunt's quilt looks pretty nice and so does your Let's Book It blocks.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

So many wonderful projects. You are definitely an inspiration.

Sheila said...

Your aunts quilt turned out lovely and oh wow you sure have a lot going on and the thing is you finish them all . Always an inspiration :-)

Christine M said...

Your Let's Book It project is gorgeous, Sharon.

Sheila said...

I'm with you. I usually have several projects going on in several stages of development.
Your aunt's quilt turned out great. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing your secret projects revealed. Interesting new links on the side of your blog.

Teresa in Music City said...

I like to work on lot of different projects too Sharon - of course you knew that - anyone who knows me knows that LOL! :*)

Yummy, yummy black scraps! Can't wait to see what they make mixed in with your creative genius!

Kate said...

You always so much fun stuff going on. I like have multiple projects going as well. Though I've been trying to focus on just 3, it's easier to get something done that way.

Kris said...

I love your mixed bag!! :-)) Oh, I am so glad you aren't asking how many projects we have started, middle and in our heads!!

Suze said...

I'm a counter and I don't try to count the projects in the mix. If I added the projects for which I have the fabrics and patterns all boxed up together (kitted) in the closet, I'd need a calculator. Then if I added the projects that are whirring in my head, Katie bar the door! Sometimes, it's overwhelming and best not to address the issue at all. I just like to think about the ones at the top of the priority list or the ones calling my name the loudest at the moment. I love the yoyos with the ribbon effect under them for the flower. What a great idea! I can only imagine the thrill for your aunt to have a keeper, at last. Thanks for all the inspiration.

KimM said...

Your aunt's quilt is wonderful!
xxx
P.S. I don't dare count how many projects I have going….I'd be too overwhelmed….

Michele said...

The quilt turned out fabulous and I really like the simple circle on your flower blocks.

StitchinByTheLake said...

My September projects are done too Sharon - pictures taken, post written and post dated! I've never been this far ahead. :) But I love it when it happens. blessings, marlene

Carol Swift said...

People would definitely think I was nuts if they saw how many projects I have going at one time. I'm always in the middle of something when I think of something else to start. Crazy! My See You in September post is done and my Rush Hour projects are really close to being finished. Can't wait to see what you make! Your aunt's quilt is beautiful!

Cheryll said...

Looking forward to "seeing" you in September. Love the "prim" centres too! :)