Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Ice, Inspiration, and Instigation


We are in the middle of an ice storm like so many others and their bad weather - what's a quilter do do?  SEW!!!  I am 20th bobbin since Monday and even used a spool of thread up - blocks, blocks and more blocks.


And I guilted myself about those borders, so with the help of my assistant (not), I put one one, then made blocks - put another on, then made blocks.  I have the last of the five to go, but it seems every time I lay this out, Miss Bella claims it and I get no where.  So more blocks, blocks, blocks today. 


Temecula Quilt Co is having a QAL with reproducing this antique flying geese quilt - so many geese a month.  I need to clear some of my reproduction fabrics that won't be used in Barbara Brackman's "Diary" QAL so this works for me.  Besides - I love to make flying geese.

  
And to instigate some more - this beauty is being offered by Wendy Shepard of Ivory Spring.  You could even take a section of this and make a mini if you don't feel up to another big quilt.


I did get out yesterday for a bit (in the pouring rain) to the local library - only like a minute or two from me.  They had a fun class on making an Accordion Album.  I'm sure due to the weather, I was the only one who showed up.  BUT what fun and I have found a project I can share with my grandkids.

I will get new buttons up for Temecula and Wendy soon, and back to my blocks.........

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon 

16 comments:

Jeanna said...

The flying geese quilt looks like a great stash buster. Good thing you enjoy making the geese.

Wendy's Ivory Spring looks tempting...but I 'MUST' say no. I have to many WiPs and UFOs to finish.

Sorry to hear about the ice storm. Stay safe and warm!

Carol Swift said...

You're always throwing temptation my way...stop! Okay, don't stop, I just might want to make those geese or that Ivory Spring, or maybe I should go sew what I already have started. Be safe with all that ice flying around you!

Susie said...

I love the quilts but I am not good at flying geese. Another thing I need to practice when I have finished my UFO's. Glad you managed to get out for a while. You can go a bit stir crazy if you are indoors all the time. Stay warm. Hugs, Susiex

Char said...

20 bobbins since Monday! That's a lot of sewing!

Sarah said...

Dang, girlfriend, that is a lot of sewing to finish 20 bobbins! I'm also considering doing the flying geese quilt. I best get started now before I'm "behind". LOL. Happy sewing! Hugs to everyone...

Sarah said...

I forgot to say bummer you were the only student at the journal class but it should be fun to make them with the grands.

Debbie said...

Love those geese, just not sure if I will do more.....unless thay are florals..lol. I saw Wendy's pattern and thought the same as you, how cute for some small quilts.

Teresa Rawson said...

Great gosh-a-mighty...20 bobbins! You are amazing! Rub some of that sewing motivation off on me, please! It is interesting to see the Temecula project...I have been trying to pick a long-term scrappy project to make units toward, and I was thinking about flying geese...definitely in the top 3. I figure if I can make a small gauge, long-term project I could do it in units or blocks and use up some of my yummy scraps. I SOOOO love scrappy quilts, but simply can't make up my mind which one(s) to start. I wish I had your gumption! I have enough scrappy green/white log cabin blocks and have been thinking about an outer border of half dresden blocks in scrappy reds or greens. I need to stop thinking about it and just start cramming fabric through the machine...

Dasha said...

Those accordion journals are fun to make. Shame you were the only person to turn up, but then I bet you had fun anyway.

Dana Gaffney said...

It's so nice to see Miss Bella and I'm sure she helps more than you're giving her credit for :) Thanks for the heads up on Wendy's quilt, it's beautiful.

Barbara said...

That's a shame that only one showed up, but lucky you, getting the class time all to yourself. I haven't counted my bobbins, but the Stars and Stripes quilt is a bobbin pig, so know the feeling. I used up a spool on it too. We must be on the same quilting plane in an alternate universe.

Sarah Craig said...

That flying geese quilt is AWESOME! I bet it would be a great scrap buster, too. Wonder what it would look like in more brightly colored fabrics?

KatieQ said...

Twenty bobbins sounds like it could be a record. Thanks for mentioning the Flying Geese quiltalong. I don't know if I will attempt it now, but I love the idea.

Kate said...

That's a lot of sewing, 20 bobbins! Both inspiration quilts are fun. I've got a flying geese one on my bucket list. Looking forward to seeing your versions develop.

Michele said...

I'm glad that you are getting a lot accomplished. I hope to do the same today since we have a snow day.

Lyndsey said...

Wow 20 bobbins, that's bucket fulls of blocks stitched together. I like the flying geese quilt and can't wait to see how yours looks.