Friday, January 22, 2021

Do Others Work This Way

 


First I'll show what I am working on.  The next house block for the guild President's Challenge.  This month if the catagory 'Florals' and there are many variations of the Sunflower Flower Block.  I chose this flower as my Dad (11th anniversary of his death) grew a variety of sunflowers for all the birds and animals to enjoy.  His favorite were the Giants and he grew some monsters.


 Of course the guild's challenge back to me as president, is to make a miniature version on their block(s).  My mini Sunflower, Union Square, Sister's Choice, Bachelor's Puzzle, and Aunt Em's Block.  I have two more to finish up - Aunt Sukey's Choice and M'lady's Fan.  Since we are on hiatis due to the virus surge, I have to rely on members sending me an e-mail and/or photo of their block.

OK, the reality of the way I work (because someone asked):


The bitty scraps I'm trying to use up in this project and at one point I even had a cat laying in the midst.


At one point I was afraid I was going to bob a tail, so sorted some fabric and pulled these plaids, wovens, and shirtings that will join that tote.  Moe got bored with this - but he flattened the scrap pile.


And there is this............


And there is this...........


And there is this ............  (plus a chair full that I didn't take a photo of)

When I make miniatures I make a HUGE mess - all the Civil War totes and scraps come out to pick the 'right' fabric.

Now some of the other is donated fabric that I am sorting thru, hence the piles of color.  They have the non-cotton pulled out (will gift else where) which gets moved to a waiting tote.  The other is checked to see if I can get some FQs cut from them.  The rest will be sent on to any other sewing group as these fabrics have been gone thru by the guild and I certainly don't need more.


Here's the FQs in an under the bed tote.  I can fit 300 FQs in one of these - I know because I have another full.  Why???  These will be on our guild's fund raiser table at the next quilt show in 2022.  And yes, I have tons of magazines and books bundled as well as patterns boxed for this show, all stored in a back bedroom as well.

Multi tasking down a huge mess - making miniature blocks, sorting fabrics, pressing/folding/storing pieces.  Does any one else work like this?  I'll have it all cleaned up this weekend - fingers crossed.

OH, and I made stuffed peppers inbetween all of this.  When my back (or brain) needed a break - prep something, or stir something, or stuff something.  It all worked out.


Sewingly Yours,

Sharon


7 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

My mind flits project to project. Bad bad.wish i was a continue till its done kinda gal.stuffed peppers sound good. Thanks for the idea

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

OH, how I can relate to too many scraps!! Someday we'll have guild meetings again. Funny meme!

Barbara said...

Okay, well, I left a longer comment, and it disappeared when I posted it. Trying one more time as a test. Your humor there at the end gave me a chuckle.

JustGail said...

I can't get that many quilty projects going at once - lack of space. I my mind however, I'm working on many more. Scraps - so far I've been tossing all in a box unsorted & untrimmed. I'm thinking that while easy and fast now, there be woes dealing with them waiting for me down the road.

MissPat said...

Ah, sorting and storing scraps. Even though some are organized,there still always seem to be more lurking at every turn. I sometimes wish I had the courage to give them all away and start over, but haven't gotten that desperate yet. Great meme at the end. I laughed out loud.
Pat

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Hubby loved your pepper joke.

QuiltGranma said...

What? No picture of Moe on the pile of scraps? Sigh, just love kitties adn quilts myself!