Saturday, October 22, 2016

Slow Sunday Stitching 10/23/16

Slow Sunday Stitching

Today I will be joining KATHY in some much needed slow down.  A blog buddy made me look back on all the things I have done already thru the month with a reminder that I was very ill at the time, too.  There have been some real inspirational, get on fire projects - some frustrating ones - some 'squirrel' captivations - and things that just had to get done.  I need to sit back and just breath today.


I used the pdf pattern found under my tutorial tab (last one in the list).  It is just the paper piecing pattern, but easy to figure out - just use the same fabric on the back as used in the hat.  You can keep them just fabric, or add some lightweight fuseable interfacing, or even some fuseable batt.  Just if you are using batt, they do turn out a bit smaller and I kept about an inch of the top of the hat without batt to make them easier to turn and poke.  These have all been stitched (the pink faces don't show in the photo), but a lot of them need their turning holes stitched up .  AND if I can find my little black beads, the eyes will go on.  I need to get some jingle bells for the hat tips though.


I have a few more hexies to add to this rosette and then there will be 18 done for a quilt I have yet to figure out the layout or pattern.


I need to add buttons to these crayon roll-ups - pattern found HERE.  These are always popular at Christmas.  Great scrap project too.


QuiltShopGal asked about a Zirkel - do you know what a Zirkel is?  Go see.  And then I was asked to share my method (I don't call it a tip) of controlling my pins.  No pincushions for me - my cats think they are marvelous toys and I don't want to fish pins or needles out of a cats mouth.

Magnets - good old kitchen fridge magnets.  The little one was on one of those clip things that I dropped and broke, but saved the magnet.  I use this one for my sewing needles while working a project - never lose track of where I put that darn thing now.  

My fine glass head pins are a pain to flip into that cute little plastic case while at the machine, so I use a flat advertisement magnet.  And you can keep the magnet right with the box after as they 'stick' right to the bottom.

My 'harpoon' large pins for heavier fabrics or for pin basting a quilt get one of my larger fridge flat ad magnets.  I can just flick those pins as I go and that magnet catches them.  And I store it after by 'sticking' it to the bottom of the plastic container.  That helps too in if you have difficulty removing the lid or drop the box - yes, I have done that -  the pins stay stuck to the bottom of the container.

And even a better reason to enjoy a slow day inside today.......


SNOW - on 10/22/16!!!  They say the NorEast is to have a long, cold, snowy winter - hey, it's FALL!!

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your day of rest! I can't believe you have snow on the ground. Keep it north of here for now please.

mindingmomma at aol dot com

Debbie said...

Snow...you got to be kidding!!!
You really have had a big, full, busy month. Much accomplished to show too. Love the flat fridge magnet ideas.....and to think I threw a bunch in the trash!
As for the zirkel.....never saw that one, but I do use a couple of the mechanics parts bowls that are magnetized for my basting pins. They are inexpensive, about $3 at Harbor Freight!

http://thankfullga447 said...

I love it that you get things accomplished. The snow real through me off. I have friends going to upstate NY they will get a surprise. I miss NY I live in the Midwest now.

Needled Mom said...

I heard about snow coming to parts of the country. It seems awfully early to dip our toes into winter already. It does look pretty.

Enjoy a quiet stitching day.

gayle said...

Thanks for the magnet tricks! (As I'm coming off a week-long pincushion making binge...!)
Happy handstitching on all your lovely projects. Stay warm!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My DIL in Anchorage sent me a snow picture. Sorry. I'm not ready for snow anytime soon. Have fun hand stitching. I finally got some done yesterday.

Rebecca said...

I tat, or it might be better to say I am learning to needle tat. I use an old hard case eyeglass case with a very strong magnet set in it to hold my tatting needles on one side and very fine crochet hooks ( for untatting) on the other. Works great

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Oh No!! SNOW already!!! Atleast you have plenty to keep you busy. :)

tink's mom said...

Love the magnet ideas. Will peel one off of my fridge as soon as I stand up. Don't think I'll stop complaining about the 51 degrees we had as I headed out at 7:30 this morning.

tink's mom said...

That was supposed to say I think not Don't think. When I restructured the sentence I missed that.

MissPat said...

Sorry about the snow, but it's a good reason to stay inside. We had 3.5" of rain, fortunately spread out over 2 days, which has helped with the drought without causing any flooding. Enjoy your slow stitching. I'm trying to settle on what projects to take to retreat in two weeks.

Barbara said...

Oh my...snow already! We haven't even reached freezing temperatures yet. Enjoy your slow day.

Kate said...

Even resting you manage to get a lot done. Snow! Already? It's been so warm here this year that the leaves haven't turned yet (which means the allergies have been really, really bad). Enjoy your day of slow stitching.

Quilter Kathy said...

Never heard of a zirkel before... I don't have cats, so I really like the pincushions I make!
I am not ready for snow. At all!

Lady Jane said...

Your busyiness puts me to shame...They said we might get snow but so far none. That is ok by me, lol... Love the magnet idea. Thanks. LJ

Sarah said...

Snow! Clever magnet ideas. I always keep a small magnet on top and bottom of my current sewing project so I just have to pop the needle on it when I've finished for the day!

Nancy said...

Snow!?!! Already? It's beautiful but I can hardly believe it. Where are you? Love the colors and fabrics of your little hats.

Jeanna said...

You are always busy (productive) and I enjoy seeing all of your projects.

Such a pretty picture of the snow but wow, so early.

Unknown said...

My cats pull the pins up by their heads when in a pin cushion so I can't use my lovely pin cushions, either. So I make beautiful magnet catchers on the same principle as you. I find a nice bowl and glue small earth magnets around the inside and, voila, the pins stick and it is cute.