Saturday, July 23, 2016

Day 11 of 12 Days


I can't believe how fast these days are going by!  Today SARAH has us adding that sashing and cornerstones - closer to a finish.  She promised a quilt in 12 days and your are getting one.

Today's Hosts Are:



A scrappy version - I have been hiding something all along the way with this hop.  I was one of Sarah's testers and I ran into a bit of a problem.  Not with her pattern, but with my fabrics.  Do you remember that tip in red highlight?  Careful pressing sensitive fabrics?  Well, my plaid fabric was a sensitive fabric and I knew that, but in using the method of press/stack/ press even with a low temp iron was too much for that fabric. My units all melted into each other. 

Then with some fabric swap outs - the next pressing session left huge black messes all over.  Someone had used a fuseable without the pressing sheet - black gunk all over my iron that had not been cleaned.  My original project just scrapped!  So - we start again.  Hey, that tote of Christmas fabric is sitting there, so use it.

  
And - I went small.  I reworked the pattern a bit to eliminate some seams and used 1.5" bits and strips.  Now I have a wallhanging.  But this pattern is too pretty to just give up on.


Besides, I have Christmas quilts.  This is my finished quilt made during the monthly installments of  Festive Mystery by Sue Aubry of QuiltTimes.  I opted to have one less row than her pattern - but had the blocks made, so used them to make a matching pillow.  The quilt is 44" x 52" and the pillow is 18".

Today is Slow Sunday Stitching and I am going to use the day to finish the hand work on my Feather Tree.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

11 comments:

MissPat said...

Bad news on your melted fabric and yucky iron. But I'm glad to see you persevered and came up with a good save.

I knew I didn't want to make a big quilt, so I made just one of Sarah's blocks and will use it as a table topper. It was too hot by the time I got home yesterday to work in my sewing room, but fortunately it is just two seams so I can ctach up today (but I have to do it this AM as we will be in the 90's again today and tomorrow).

MissPat said...

Bad news on your melted fabric and yucky iron. But I'm glad to see you persevered and came up with a good save.

I knew I didn't want to make a big quilt, so I made just one of Sarah's blocks and will use it as a table topper. It was too hot by the time I got home yesterday to work in my sewing room, but fortunately it is just two seams so I can ctach up today (but I have to do it this AM as we will be in the 90's again today and tomorrow).

Michele said...

I'm so sorry that your original project was a bust. I hope to make some of the blocks before too long too though I'm having a tough time trying to decide whether to make it holiday or not.

Snoodles said...

Frustration! But you ended up with a lovely small quilt and a great pillow. Love those fabrics...have a restful, slow stitching Sunday!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow... that was a trial of patience for sure!
Such beautiful blocks resulted!

Barbara said...

Can't say I'm happy about Christmas in July, but your eye candy makes that scary glimpse into the future worthwhile. That's a pretty block.

Sarah Craig said...

Your mini is beautiful, Sharon, and I still feel awful about all the problems you had! But I do so appreciate you testing the pattern for me and for all your support for the hop - it's been a great success in large part because of you! Pretty Christmas quilt, too - beautiful festive colors!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon ,what a bummer with all those things happening to your fabric,i love your new one in xmas fabrics,very cute and wow love your quilt set in the last pic,well done my friend xx

Needled Mom said...

I guess we all experience those problems in our quilting journey. Your Christmas quilt projects really look great. I love your fabric choices.

Dana Gaffney said...

Oh no! I wondered why you reacted to Sarah's tip, it didn't sound like something you would do :). Your mini quilt turned out beautiful, I like the fabrics you used.

Kate said...

That's simply heart breaking! Your mini looks great, but sorry you had to scrap your first try.