Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Up the Ladder
I played with the Lanter QAL block #2 - Ladder. Rather than several fabrics, I kept to two closely themed/coloured strips - oh, these strips are really pretty but so not on the grain so patterns run a little cocked-eye!!
I tried to do a little fussy cutting to get some interest with the patterns. See that pencil - notice how 'off' the strips are? I paid a lot of money for this JR, so not scrapping it because it is off grain or cut short.
It's bad enough they pink them so deep, but I marked a 2.5" strip on paper and laid some strips on it so you can see just how short they are of the 2.5" mark. I did have to throw one strip out as it was run thru the cutter folded so I had a very strange strip. I've enjoyed and used Free Spirit fabrics before, but as yardage or FQ bundles - this is my first pre-cut. I don't think I will be buying any more.
And my machine is tied up with this project - block making and playing with my tiny scraps is on hold until this quilt is done. The 'Forest QAL' - so I can get it into the contest and maybe even Pet's on Quilts. A lot of thread changes, threads to bury, and a lot of hours into this one - the most extensive quilting I have done on a large quilt. Gosh, if my workhorse of an old machine ever croaks on me ----- I will be devistated. She hums along no matter what task on the ladder I put to her.
Hmmm - Ladders
1. Ladder is like life
2. one has to climb it to reach the top
3. one has to climb slowly so as to not upset the balance
4. one can pause on each step to take in the breath or the view
5. ladder is very useful to reach things placed higher
6. Nowadays there are folding ladders to put away
7. One can climb up in education or career step by step
Ladders in Quilting
1. Ladder Stitch
2. Jacob's Ladder
3. Quilt Ladder (display ladder)
4. Ladder variation - Stepping Stones
5. Climb the ladder of quilting skills
Can you think of more?